- (859) 323-4490
- J518, Kentucky Clinic
Jean Edward, PhD, RN, CHPE, is an Assistant Professor at the Center for Health Services Research, holding a joint appointment in the Colleges of Medicine and Nursing. Prior to her position at the CHSR, she was an assistant professor at the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at the University of Massachusetts Boston.
Dr. Edward's program of research is focused on promoting equitable access to healthcare for underserved minority and immigrant communities by examining the influence of social determinants on disparities in healthcare access and health outcomes. The foundation to her program of research was a study funded by the Kentucky Nurses Association and Sigma Theta Tau International that used a mixed-method approach to examine the social determinants of healthcare access among Hispanic immigrants in Louisville, KY. Her recent study, funded by the University of Massachusetts, was an interdisciplinary project examining health literacy and its impact on access and utilization of health insurance and healthcare services for Hispanics in Massachusetts. Her current research focuses on developing linguistically and culturally relevant measures of health insurance literacy to help inform programs that promote health-seeking behaviors and support health decision-making.
Dr. Edward's areas of research expertise include healthcare access disparities, social determinants of health, healthcare reform, health insurance literacy, immigrant health and Geographic Information Systems. She has taught doctoral courses on social and behavioral determinants of health, health disparities, global health and healthcare policy.
- Knight, R.; Karamouzian, M ; Carson, A ; Edward, J.; Carrieri, P ; Shoveller, J ; Fairbairn, N ; Wood, E.; Fast, D "Interventions to address substance use and sexual risk among gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men who use methamphetamine: A systematic review." Drug and alcohol dependence 194, (2019): 410-429. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Glassman, SD ; Carreon, LY ; Brown, ME ; Jones, JS ; Edward, J.; Li, J.; Williams, MV "The impact of health literacy on health status and resource utilization in lumbar degenerative disease." The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society (2018): [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Shawler, C.; Edward, J.; Ling, J.; Crawford, TN ; Rayens, MK "Impact of Mother-Daughter Relationship on Hypertension Self-management and Quality of Life: Testing Dyadic Dynamics Using the Actor-Partner Interdependence Model." The Journal of cardiovascular nursing 33, 3 (2018): 232-238. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Edward, J.; Morris, S.; Mataoui, F.; Granberry, P.; Williams, MV ; Torres, I. "The impact of health and health insurance literacy on access to care for Hispanic/Latino communities." Public health nursing (Boston, Mass.) 35, 3 (2018): 176-183. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Edward, J.; Carreon, LY ; Williams, MV ; Glassman, S.; Li, J. "The importance and impact of patients' health literacy on low back pain management: a systematic review of literature." The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society 18, 2 (2018): 370-376. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Card, KG ; Gibbs, J ; Lachowsky, NJ ; Hawkins, BW ; Compton, M ; Edward, J.; Salway, T ; Gislason, MK ; Hogg, RS "Using Geosocial Networking Apps to Understand the Spatial Distribution of Gay and Bisexual Men: Pilot Study." JMIR public health and surveillance 4, 3 (2018): e61. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Armstrong, HL ; Wang, L.; Zhu, J.; Lachowsky, NJ ; Card, KG ; Wong, J.; Jollimore, J.; Edward, J.; Roth, EA ; Hogg, RS ; Moore, DM "HIV Testing Among a Representative Community Sample of Gay, Bisexual, and Other Men Who Have Sex with Men in Vancouver, Canada." AIDS and behavior (2018): [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Colyer, SP ; Lachowsky, NJ ; Cui, Z.; Zhu, J.; Armstrong, HL ; Taylor, M.; Edward, J.; Olarewaju, G.; Hogg, RS ; Roth, EA ; Moore, DM "HIV treatment optimism and crystal methamphetamine use and initiation among HIV-negative men who have sex with men in Vancouver, Canada: A longitudinal analysis." Drug and alcohol dependence 185, (2018): 67-74. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Edward, J.; Mir, N.; Monti, D.; Shacham, E.; Politi, MC "Exploring Characteristics and Health Care Utilization Trends Among Individuals Who Fall in the Health Insurance Assistance Gap in a Medicaid Nonexpansion State." Policy, politics & nursing practice 18, 4 (2017): 206-214. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Edward, J.; Biddle, DJ "Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to Examine Barriers to Healthcare Access for Hispanic and Latino Immigrants in the U.S. South." Journal of racial and ethnic health disparities 4, 2 (2017): 297-307. [PubMed Link] |
- Ellenbecker, CH ; Edward, J. "Conducting Nursing Research to Advance and Inform Health Policy." Policy, politics & nursing practice 17, 4 (2016): 208-217. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Logsdon, MC ; Martin, VH ; Stikes, R.; Davis, D.; Ryan, L.; Yang, I.; Edward, J.; Rushton, J. "Lessons Learned From Adolescent Mothers: Advice on Recruitment." Journal of nursing scholarship : an official publication of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing 47, 4 (2015): 294-9. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Edward, J.; Hines-Martin, V. "Exploring the Providers Perspective of Health and Social Service Availability for Immigrants and Refugees in a Southern Urban Community." Journal of immigrant and minority health 17, 4 (2015): 1185-91. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Schreiber, JA ; Edward, J. "Image of God, religion, spirituality, and life changes in breast cancer survivors: a qualitative approach." Journal of religion and health 54, 2 (2015): 612-22. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Edward, J. "Undocumented Immigrants and Access to Health Care: Making a Case for Policy Reform." Policy, politics & nursing practice 15, 1-2 (2014): 5-14. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Greenstein, JS ; Bishop, BN ; Edward, JS ; Topp, RV "The effects of a closed-chain, eccentric training program on hamstring injuries of a professional football cheerleading team." Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics 34, 3 (2011): 195-200. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]