- (859) 323-4490
- J518, Kentucky Clinic
Jean Edward, PhD, RN, CHPE, is an Assistant Professor at the Center for Health Services Research, holding a joint appointment in the Colleges of Medicine and Nursing. Prior to her position at the CHSR, she was an assistant professor at the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at the University of Massachusetts Boston.
Dr. Edward's program of research is focused on promoting equitable access to healthcare for underserved minority and immigrant communities by examining the influence of social determinants on disparities in healthcare access and health outcomes. The foundation to her program of research was a study funded by the Kentucky Nurses Association and Sigma Theta Tau International that used a mixed-method approach to examine the social determinants of healthcare access among Hispanic immigrants in Louisville, KY. Her recent study, funded by the University of Massachusetts, was an interdisciplinary project examining health literacy and its impact on access and utilization of health insurance and healthcare services for Hispanics in Massachusetts. Her current research focuses on developing linguistically and culturally relevant measures of health insurance literacy to help inform programs that promote health-seeking behaviors and support health decision-making.
Dr. Edward's areas of research expertise include healthcare access disparities, social determinants of health, healthcare reform, health insurance literacy, immigrant health and Geographic Information Systems. She has taught doctoral courses on social and behavioral determinants of health, health disparities, global health and healthcare policy.
Edward, J., & Biddle, D. (2016). Examining Geographic Barriers to Healthcare Access for Hispanic Latino Immigrants in the U.S. South using GIS. Journal of Ethnic and Racial Health Disparities. Online First. 10.1007/s40615-016-0229-9
Edward, J. & Hines-Martin, V. (2016). Barriers to Healthcare Access for Hispanic Latino Immigrants in a Southern Urban Community of the U.S. Journal of Hospital Administration. 5(2), 102-108.
Edward, J. & Hines-Martin, V. (2015). Exploring the providers perspective of health and social services availability for immigrant and refugee populations in a southern inland urban community. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 17(4), 1185-1191. doi: 10.1007/s10903-014-0048-1
Edward, J. (2014). Undocumented Immigrants and Access to Health Care: Making a Case for Policy Reform. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice. February–May 2014; vol. 15, 1-2: pp. 5-14.
Sharon, B., Hines-Martin, V., Edward, J., Haleem, A. (2015). Reflections on interdisciplinary teamwork in service-learning. Partnerships: A Journal of Service-Learning and Civic Engagement, 6(2).
Logsdon, C.M., Hines-Martin, V., Davis, D., Stikes, R., Edward, J., Yang, I., Ryan, L. (2015). Lessons from Adolescent Mothers: Advice on Recruitment. J Nurs Scholarsh. 47(4), 294-9.
Schreiber, J. & Edward, J. (2014). Image of God and psychological well-being and distress: A qualitative approach. Journal of Religion and Health. Published Online: 17 April, 2014 (ePub ahead of print). Doi: 10.1007/s10943-014-9862-y
Greenstein, J.S., Bishop, B.N., Edward, J.S., Huffman, A., Davis, D., Topp, R. (2012). Sleep characteristics in patients with whiplash-associated disorders- A descriptive study. Topics in Integrative Health Care: an International Journal, 3(4), 1-11.
Greenstein, J.S., Bishop, B.N., Edward, J.S., Huffman, A., Davis, D., Topp, R. (2012). The Effect of the Tri-Core® Cervical Pillow on Sleep Outcomes among Whiplash Associated Disorder (WAD) Patients. Topics in Integrative Health Care: an International Journal, 3(3).
Greenstein, J.S., Bishop, B.N., Edward, J.S., Topp, R. (2011). The Effects of a Closed-Chain, Eccentric Training Program on Hamstring Injuries of a Professional Football Cheerleading Team. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 34(3), 195-200.
Topp, R., Edward, J.S., Ridner, S.L., Jacks, D.E., Newton, K., Kieffner, P., Woodall, D., & Conte, K. (2010) Fit Into College: A Program to Improve Physical Activity and Dietary Intake Lifestyles Among College Students. Recreational Sports Journal, 35(2), 69-78.
- Edward, J.;Biddle, D.J. "Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to Examine Barriers to Healthcare Access for Hispanic and Latino Immigrants in the U.S. South." Journal of racial and ethnic health disparities 4, 2 (2017): 297-307. [PubMed Link] |
- Ellenbecker, C.H.;Edward, J. "Conducting Nursing Research to Advance and Inform Health Policy." Policy, politics & nursing practice 17, 4 (2016): 208-217. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Logsdon, M.C.;Martin, V.H.;Stikes, R.;Davis, D.;Ryan, L.;Yang, I.;Edward, J.;Rushton, J. "Lessons Learned From Adolescent Mothers: Advice on Recruitment." Journal of nursing scholarship : an official publication of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing 47, 4 (2015): 294-9. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Edward, J.;Hines-Martin, V. "Exploring the Providers Perspective of Health and Social Service Availability for Immigrants and Refugees in a Southern Urban Community." Journal of immigrant and minority health 17, 4 (2015): 1185-91. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Schreiber, J.A.;Edward, J. "Image of God, religion, spirituality, and life changes in breast cancer survivors: a qualitative approach." Journal of religion and health 54, 2 (2015): 612-22. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Edward, J. "Undocumented Immigrants and Access to Health Care: Making a Case for Policy Reform." Policy, politics & nursing practice 15, 1-2 (2014): 5-14. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Greenstein, J.S.;Bishop, B.N.;Edward, J.S.;Topp, R.V. "The effects of a closed-chain, eccentric training program on hamstring injuries of a professional football cheerleading team." Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics 34, 3 (2011): 195-200. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]